sexta-feira, 30 de dezembro de 2011

50 New Year’s Resolutions for Public Speakers

Tag: MOTIVAÇÃO

'via Blog this'

50 New Year’s Resolutions for Public Speakers

by John Zimmer

Some ideas to help you take your public speaking to the next level in 2012.

In no particular order:

1. I will prepare.

2. I will practice.

3. I will have a clear message.

4. I will be able to distill every speech and every presentation into a single sentence.

5. I will always ask myself: "Why should the audience care about my message?"

6. If I cannot answer that question, I will find a new message. Or a new audience.

7. I will arrive early for my speaking engagements.

8. I will make sure that the equipment works.

9. I will have a back-up plan in case the equipment doesn't work.

10. I will be well rested before speaking.

11. I will use less text in my slide presentations.

12. I will use more images in my slide presentations.

13. I will speak without a slide presentation.

14. I will read Presentation Zen by Garr Reynolds.

15. I will watch one TED Talk every week.

16. I will get feedback on my performance.

17. I will join Toastmasters or another speaking association.

18. I will give a toast at a party.

19. I will seek out speaking opportunities at work.

20. I will seek out speaking opportunities in my community.

21. I will join public speaking groups on LinkedIn.

22. I will actively participate in discussions in those groups.

23. I will read Resonate by Nancy Duarte.

24. I will get comfortable using props.

25. I will give a speech without notes.

26. I will tell more stories.

27. I will smile.

28. I will remember that being a little nervous before a speech is normal.

29. I will make eye contact with the audience.

30. I will read good blogs on public speaking such as the ones found here.

31. I will pause more.

32. I will find out as much as I can about my audience beforehand.

33. I will not speak longer than my allotted time.

34. I will get comfortable using a remote control for my slide presentations.

35. I will read Made to Stick by Chip and Dan Heath.

36. I will be passionate.

37. I will breathe deeply.

38. I will video myself speaking.

39. I will watch the videos.

40. I will work on elimination distracting gestures or habits.

41. I will focus on the audience and not myself.

42. I will use quotes.

43. I will use humour, if appropriate.

44. I will speak without using a lectern.

45. I will be willing to be vulnerable on stage.

46. I will remember that my audience doesn't expect me to be perfect.

47. I will remember that my audience does expect me to be present.

48. I will remember that all the great speakers were bad speakers at first.

49. I will will recognize that there is always room for improvement.

50. I will enjoy the ride.

A very Merry Christmas and a peaceful and enjoyable holiday season to you all.

Photo courtesy of virginsuicide photography

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário